School of Integrative Studies
College of Humanities and Social Sciences

Academic Advising FAQs

Who is my academic advisor?

The School of Integrative Studies does not have assigned advising caseloads, which means that you are free to meet with any advisor in our office. You can ask to meet with the same advisor each time you request an appointment, but keep in mind that the members of our advising staff are not available on a full-time basis. Therefore, you may need to meet with a different advisor if time is of the essence.

How often should I meet with my academic advisor?

While you are not required to meet with an advisor, we do strongly recommend meeting with one at least once each term to ensure your timely completion of degree requirements. Some students like to meet more often to explore/discuss other relevant academic and co-curricular opportunities.

Where do I find add/drop class deadlines? Select the appropriate semester calendar for specific dates/deadlines.

How do I change/declare my major?

  1. Fill out the Undergraduate Change/Declaration of Academic Program form available at
  2. Bring your completed form to our offices and have an advisor sign it.
  3. Take the form to your previous major advising office, even if you never utilized their offices.
  4. Take the completed form to the Registrar’s Office at Student Union I, Room 2101.

How do I declare a minor

  1. Fill out the Undergraduate Minor Declaration form available at
  2. Bring your completed form to the office who offers the minor and have an advisor sign it
  3. The complete list of available minors can be found at and advising information for each unit can be found at
  4. Take the completed form to the Registrar’s Office in Student Union I, Room 2101

How do double majors, double minors and double degrees work?

A Double major consists of earning a Bachelor of Art or Bachelor of Science in two subject areas. Students need to complete the requirements of each major in addition to general education requirements. Students interested in a double major must meet with an advisor in each department and will need to have the Change/Declaration of Academic Program form signed by both departments.

Minors normally require 15-21 hours. To pursue a minor, please see an advisor in that academic department. To declare a minor you must submit an Undergraduate Minor Declaration form to the Registrar’s office. Many minors require an advisor’s signature to declare. If you would like to earn two or more minors, see an advisor in each academic department.

To earn two degrees a student completes the requirements for two different types of degrees, such as a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Science. Students must detail a program of study for each degree and obtain departmental approval. In order to graduate with two degrees, students need to complete a minimum of 30 GMU credits beyond those required by either degree individually. Go to the catalog for more information.

What happens to my AP/IB/Dual Enrollment credits?

Each class is evaluated according to the same George Mason University procedures followed by all the other Mason units. If credits are brought into Mason, they will be listed on your transcript and will count toward your degree requirements. More info available: 

Some of my credits didn't transfer in - How do I have my transfer credits re-evaluated?

How do I withdraw from a course after the drop deadline?

Please refer to: for the electronic form and information.

What is academic warning, probation or suspension?

An undergraduate student whose cumulative GPA is below 2.00 will be put on academic warning, probation or suspension. Your attempted credit level will determine the degree of academic restriction. A student’s attempted credit level consists of credits passed, credits failed, credits withdrawn, transfer credit, AP and IB credit, and any other credit the student earned through credit by testing. A warning and probation both result in a restriction of 13 credits for the following semester. Following a first suspension, students cannot take courses for two academic periods unless it is imposed at the end of a summer term in which case the student will be unable to enroll for the fall semester, but can return for the spring semester. If a student receives a second suspension, that individual will not be allowed to take courses for one full academic year. A third suspension will result in the student being dismissed from the university.

How do I determine of my course earns Learning Community or Experiential learning credit (for students prior to Fall 2017)?

INTS courses are broken down into their LC and EL credits on the chart provided here:; courses for past semesters can be found by selecting that semester on the far left navigation bar. To determine the number of LC or EL credits earned, consult the appropriate column next to the name and number of the course.

For example, in the course listings shown above, NCLC 202 earns 4 LC credits and 1 EL credit. However, NCLC 204 only earns 3 LC credits and does not earn ANY EL credit. NOTE, as of Fall 2016, all SIS courses have the INTS course code.

How do I find my registration time ticket?

  1. Log in to Patriot Web
  2. Select "Student Services"
  3. Select "Registration"
  4. Select "Registration Status, Time Ticket, Override Notification"
  5. Select the appropriate term from the drop-down menu and click "submit"
  6. Your registration time will be listed under "You may register during the following times"

How do I find my academic standing?

  1. Log in to Patriot Web
  2. Select "Student Services"
  3. Select "View Your Unofficial Transcript"
  4. Select "Display MASON Transcript"
  5. Scroll down your transcript to the term where you want to check your Academic Standing. Underneath the "Term" heading you will see your academic standing for that term listed. Example:

What happens if I retake a course / Mason forgiveness policy?

When calculating a student’s cumulative GPA, if a course is repeated, only the new grade will be used in this calculation.

How do I view my degree progress/evaluation?

  1. Log into Patriot Web
  2. Select Student Services
  3. Click on "Student Records"
  4. Click "Degree Evaluation Menu"
  5. Click "Degree Works". This will navigate you away from Patriot Web and open the Degree Works degree evaluation in your browser window. Once Degree Works loads, your degree evaluation will be displayed. Please note that the requirements shown in the degree evaluation are for your currently declared major (which is displayed across the top of the page after your name and G#).
  6. If there are omissions or errors in your degree evaluation, please bring them to the attention of your advisor during your next advising appointment. Please note that Experiential Learning credits are NOT tracked properly in Degree Works; if you have questions about your Experiential Learning credits, please contact an academic advisor. 

How do I take courses at another institution?

In order to take courses elsewhere, students must receive prior approval from the appropriate department or dean. The Study Elsewhere form can be obtained by visiting the Registrar’s website. The form must be signed by an advisor and then submitted with any required documentation to the Student Affairs office of the student’s academic department.

Do I only take Integrative Studies courses or can I take other Mason courses?

  • Regardless of your chosen major/concentration, you will inevitably take a combination of integrative studies and other non-integrative studies courses because this is an interdisciplinary degree. 
  • Some concentrations incorporate several SIS (integrative studies) course options. 
  • All integrative studies degree-seeking students will be required to complete a minimum number of integrative studies credits (minimum of 24 credit hours of designated Learning Community or LC courses and a minimum of 12 credit hours of designated Experiential Learning or EL courses), in addition to their chosen concentration.

What should I do if I have a disability?

You will need to establish that you are eligible to receive the appropriate services and accommodations by opening a file with the Office of Disability Services. You may contact them at 703-993-2474 to set up an appointment.

When should I apply to graduate?

Please refer to the Office of the Registrar's graduation information page, which includes dates and access to submit your application.

I have questions about my graduation status, whom should I contact?

Our Associate Director of Student Services Marlon Dortch, is our designated graduation contact. Please address any graduation questions you have to


Print Friendly and PDF