As the Student Services Coordinator, Troy Lowery's key role within the School of Integrative Studies (SIS) is academic advising. Implementing a developmental and teaching approach to his advising, Troy enjoys supporting students in developing their intellectual potential, as well exploring educational opportunities and life goals. His advising philosophy is built around establishing a strong and trusting rapport with students in a friendly, inclusive and professional atmosphere. By doing this, Troy hopes that students have the opportunity to:
* be informed about educational options, degree requirements, and academic policies and procedures;
* clearly articulate their degree educational objectives;
* plan and pursue programs consistent with their abilities, interests, and life goals; and
* use all campus resources in an advantageous manner.
Troy actively serves in the Mason Academic Advisor Network (MAAN), an organization that promotes campus-wide advisor collaboration, advisor development and information dissemination. He also serves as staff advisor for the SIS student organization, the Peer Ambassadors. This student-led organization works closely with SIS faculty and staff, volunteering for various orientation and admission events by sharing their college experience with prospective students and families.
Employing theories in student development in his advising sessions, Troy’s areas of interest are:
* Marginalized student populations
* Student persistence and retention
* First-generation college students
* Student veterans
* Student athletes
School of Integrative Studies (SIS)
SIS Peer Ambassadors
Mason Academic Advisor Network
Higher Education Program